CV for Per-Erik Forssén
October 2009: Docent in Computer Vision
Talk title: "Robot Vision, More than Meets the Eye"
March 2004: Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Vision
PhD thesis: "Channel Representations for Low and Medium Level Vision", Supervisor Prof. Gösta Granlund.
February 2001: Licentiate of Engineering in Computer Vision
Licentiate thesis (halftime PhD): "Sparse Representations for Medium Level Vision", Supervisor Prof. Gösta Granlund.
December 1997: Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
Master's Thesis: "Detection of Man-made Objects in Satellite Images", Work conducted at the Swedish Space Corporation in Kiruna, Sweden. Supervisor Dr. Sören Molander.
January 2013 - present
Associate Professor (Universitetslektor), Linköping University
April 2009 - December 2012
Assistant Professor (LiU Foass), Linköping University
May 2008 - March 2009
Research Associate, Linköping University
January 2008 - April 2008
Research Engineer, Computer Vision Lab, Linköping
January 2006 - December 2007
Post-doctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia, Canada
June 2004 - December 2005
1st Research Engineer, 20% teaching, Computer Vision Lab, Linköping
May 2004 - December 2005
Computer Vision Consultant, (15-25 h/month) ATS AB, Linköping
November 1998 - May 2004
PhD Student Position (20% teaching), Computer Vision Lab, Linköping
July 1998 - November 1998
Teaching Assistant/Programmer, Computer Vision Lab, Linköping
English Language Studies (Full Time), Linköping University
Assistant Computer Network Analyst, SEMA Group, Örebro and Stockholm
June 1994 - August 1995
Military Service, Technician/Under-Officer
August 1992 - December 1997
Studies in Computer Science and Engineering Programme (with breaks for military service and summer employment)
Awards and memberships
- ICVGIP 2014 best paper award. December 2014.
- SSBA 2014 industry prize. March 2014.
- PRCV Colloquium 2012 Invited Speaker. October 2012.
- ECMR 2011 Invited speaker, September 2011.
- DICTA 2011 Best Colour Paper Prize
- IMVW 2011 Best Paper Award
- ECCV 2010 Reviewer Award
- Winner of the 2007 Semantic Robot Vision Challenge. Core member of the winning UBC team.
- SSBA board member since March 2012.
- Member of IEEE since August 2007.
- AI och Digitalisering, Översiktskurs, LiU, Course development, lectures and a computer lab in an external course managed by LiU Uppdagsutbildning.
- TSBB06 Multidimensional Signal Analysis, LiU, Acting examiner and lecturer Autumn 2018.
- TSBB17 Visual Recognition and Detection, LiU, Examiner and lecturer, Autumn 2018, Autumn 2019.
- Visual Object Recognition, 8hp. LiU Course development of a graduate course. Updated course content, gave 8 lectures, and selected articles for reading. Attended by 15 PhD students, and 15 external people. Autumn 2014 and Spring 2015
- Geometry for Computer Vision, 6hp. with Klas Nordberg. Updated course content and gave 5 of the lectures. Spring 2014
- Biological Vision Systems, 6hp. LiU Course development of a graduate course together with Michael Felsberg. The course featured 4h lectures and 32h of student led seminars. It had 16 attendees (11 presenting PhD students, 5 other participants). Selected all papers and topics and moderated the seminars. Spring 2013
- Computer Vision, LiU Course development of an external course held at Saab Dynamics with Michael Felsberg. Extent: 5 lectures totalling at 10h. Spring 2013
- Computer Vision on Rolling Shutter Cameras. Tutorial held at the CVPR 2012 conference. (with Erik Ringaby and Johan Hedborg)
- TSBB15 Computer Vision, LiU, Examiner and course manager, Teaching 6h+6h preparations, Spring 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014, Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2017, Spring 2018, Spring 2019.
- TNM089 Imaging Technology, LiU, Guest Lecturer, 2h+4h preparations, Autumn 2011
- Geometry for Computer Vision, LiU Course development of a graduate course together with Klas Nordberg. extent: 8hp. The course featured 16h lectures, 23 attendees (9 PhD students, 14 from industry), written exam for 6 people, corrected and supervised project assignments. Spring 2010
- TS1017 Computer Vision, LiU, Teaching 4h+4h, Spring 2011
- TSBB12 Computer Vision, LiU, Teaching 8h+8h preparations, Contributed to course development, Spring 2009, Teaching 8h+8h Spring 2010
- Visual Object Recognition, LiU, Complete course development of a graduate course, extent:8hp, teaching 14h lectures, 24 attendees (11 PhD students, and 13 from local companies), Written exam for 11 people, corrected and supervised project assignments, Autumn 2008
- TSBB09 Image Sensors, LiU, Contributed to course development in a new undergraduate course, Assisted students during one 4h computer session, Autumn 2008, Demo of Kinect Autumn 2010, Demo and talk on Kinect Autumn 2011.
- CVL Article Club, LiU, Planning and execution of a seminar series covering the latest research in Computer and Robot Vision, also offered as a PhD course, Spring 2008, Spring 2009 - ongoing.
- 525 Image Understanding II, UBC, guest lecturer. Spring 2006
- TSBB04 Computer Vision, LiU, assistant lecturer, lab-exercise development. Autumn 1999, Autumn 2000, Autumn 2001, Autumn 2002, Autumn 2003, Autumn 2004, Autumn 2005
- TSBB35 Multidimensional Signal Analysis, LiU, project supervisior, lab-exercise development. Autumn 2000, Spring 2001, Spring 2002, Spring 2003, Spring 2004, Spring 2005
- TSBB65 Images and Graphics, LiU, computer excersise assistant. Spring 2001, Spring 2002, Spring 2003, Spring 2004, Spring 2005
- TSBB53 Images and Graphics, Project Course, LiU, project development and supervision. Spring 2003, Spring 2004, Spring 2005
Supervised and Examined Masters
Supervised Robert Söderberg
View Dependent Recognition of Objects, February 2002
Supervised Andreas Böckert
Vehicle Detection and Classification in Video Sequences, August 2002
Supervised Per Öberg
Tracking By Image Processing in a Real-Time System, March 2003
Examined Jan-Willhelm Isoz
Calibration of Multispectral Sensors, December 2005
Examined Markus Olgemar
Camera Based Navigation, October 2008
Examined Marcus Wallenberg
A Single-Camera Gaze Tracker using Controlled Infrared Illumination, March 2009
Examined Alexander Tuttle
Saliency Maps using Channel Representations, January 2010
Examined Anders Lind
High-speed View Matching using Region Descriptors, August 2010
Examined Axel Landgren
A Robotic Camera Platform for Evaluation of Biomimetic Gaze Stabilization using Adaptive Cerebellar Feedback, September 2010
Examined Andreas Schöndell
Evaluation of methods for segmentation of 3D range image data, January 2011
Examined David Sandberg
Model-Based Video Coding Using a Colour and Depth Camera, June 2011
Examined Gustav Hanning
Video Stabilization and Rolling Shutter Correction using Inertial Measurement Sensors, June 2011
Examined Tobias Lundqvist
3D mapping with iPhone, October 2011
Examined Anton Nordmark
Kinect 3D Mapping, October 2012
Examined Magnus Stigson
Object Tracking Using Tracking-Learning-Detection in Thermal Infrared Video, May 2013
Examined Victor Johansson
3D Position Estimation of a Person of Interest in Multiple Video Sequences: Person of Interest Recognition, September 2013
Examined Johannes Markström
3D Position Estimation of a Person of Interest in Multiple Video Sequences: People Detection, September 2013
Examined Eric Gratorp
Evaluation of online hardware video stabilization on a moving platform, October 2013
Examined Morgan Bengtsson
Indoor 3D Mapping using Kinect, April 2014
Examined Felix Järemo Lawin
Depth data processing and 3D reconstruction using the Kinect v2, August 2015
Examined Peter Thulin
Anomaly detection for product inspection and surveillance applications, September 2015
Examined Mikael Jonsson
Make it Flat: Detection and Correction of Planar Regions in Triangle Meshes, March 2016
Examined David Habrman
Face Recognition with Preprocessing and Neural Networks, May 2016
Examined Pontus Lindberg
Automatic Measurement of Volume for on-Truck Timber Stacks, June 2016
Examined Richard Bondemark
Improving SLAM on a TOF Camera by Exploiting Planar Surfaces, August 2016
Examined Ola Grankvist
Recognition and Registration of 3D Models in Depth Sensor Data, September 2016
Examined Lukas Tallund
Handling of Rolling Shutter Effects in Monocular Semi-Dense SLAM Algorithms, December 2016
- Examined Alexander Poole
Real-Time Image Segmentation for Augmented Reality by Combining multi-Channel Thresholds, September 2017
- Examined Emil Rundgren
Automatic Volume Estimation of Timber from Multi-View Stereo 3D Reconstruction, October 2017
- Examined Robert Norlander
Make it Complete: Surface Reconstruction Aided by Geometric Primitives, October 2017
- Examined Fredrik Fridborn
Reading Barcodes with Neural Networks, November 2017
- Examined Johan Lind
Make it Meaningful: Semantic Segmentation of Three-Dimensional Urban Scene Models, December 2017
- Examined Mattias Carlsson
Neural Networks for Semantic Segmentation in the Food Packaging Industry, February 2018
- Examined Björn Kernell
Improving Photogrammetry Using Semantic Segmentation, May 2018
- Examined Fredrik Olsson
Feature Based Learning for Point Cloud Labeling and Grasp Point Detection, August 2018
- Examined Adam Nyberg
Transforming Thermal Images to Visible Spectrum Images Using Deep Learning, August 2018
- Examined Victor Tranell
Semantic Segmentation of Oblique Views in a 3D Environment, January 2019
- Examined Jonathan Sjölund
Detection of Frozen Video Subtitles using Machine Learning, June 2019
- Examined Carl Ekman
Traffic Sign Classification using Computationally Efficient Convolutional Neural Networks, June 2019
- Examined Angelina Johansson and Jacob Grönlund
Defect Detection and OCR on Steel, June 2019
- Examined Malcolm Vigren and Linus Eriksson
End-to-end Road Lane Detection and Estimation using Deep Learning, June 2019
- Examined Viktor Ringdahl
Stereo Camera Pose Estimation to Enable Loop Detection, November 2019
- Examined Denise Härnström
Classification of Clothing Attributes Across Domains, February 2020
- Examined Johan Thornström
Domain Adaptation of Unreal Images for Image Classification, February 2020
- Examined Karin Fritz
Instance Segmentation of Buildings in Satellite Imagery, March 2020
- Examined Björn Runow
Deep Learning for Point Detection in Images, June 2020
- Examined Sabina Serra
Deep Learning for Semantic Segmentation of 3D Point Clouds from an Airborne LiDAR, August 2020
Supervision of PhD students
- Currently supervising: Jens Ogniewski, Felix Järemo Lawin, and Mikael Persson
- Currently co-supervising: Emil Brissman and Andreas Robinson.
- Supervised Erik Ringaby (PhD September 2014), Marcus Wallenberg (PhD January 2017), Hannes Ovrén (PhD September 2018).
- Co-supervised Fredrik Viksten with Prof Forchheimer (PhD September 2010), Fredrik Larsson with Prof Felsberg (PhD November 2011), Johan Hedborg with Prof Felsberg (PhD May 2012), Kristoffer Öfjäll with Prof Felsberg (PhD April 2016), and Bertil Grelsson with Prof Felsberg (April 2019).
- Licentiate thesis examiner (betygsförrättare) for Andreas Bergström, LiU, Feb 2020
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Erik Bylow, LTH, April 2018.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Daniel Canelhas, OrU, October 2017.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Mårten Wadenbäck, LTH, April 2017.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Silvio Giancola, Politecnico di Milano, February 2017.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Johan Fredriksson, LTH, December 2016.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Joel Kronander, LiU, December 2015.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Erik Ask, LTH, October 2014.
- External licentiate thesis reviewer (opponent) for Mårten Wadenbäck, LTH, September 2014.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Daniel Forsberg, LiU, May 2013.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Babak Rasolzadeh, KTH, January 2012.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Jeroen Hol, LiU, June 2011.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Olof Enqvist, LTH, April 2011.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Martin Byröd, LTH, June 2010.
- External licentiate thesis reviewer (opponent) for Olof Enqvist, LTH, June 2009.
- Member of PhD grading committee (betygskommitté) for Henrik Andreasson, OrU, September 2008.
Popular Science Presentations
- Intervju: Ny Teknik, Därför ska alla nya mobiler ha en 3d-kamera, August 14, 2019
- Talk for high-school teachers: 3D-kameror för självkörande bilar och automation. October 4, 2018.
- Two talks for high-school teachers: Hur fungerar en mobiltelefonkamera? Från bildsensor till beräkningsfotografi och Beräkningsfotografi. October 1, 2015.
- Invited talk: Varför blir filmklipp från mobiltelefoner ofta så fladdriga?, 2x25 min popular science talks for 120 prospective university students. October 24, 2012.
- Invited talk at the LiU University board: Att bygga ett synsinne för robotar, September 13, 2011
- Interview: Östgöta Correspondenten, Slutet för skakiga mobilklipp, August 8, 2011.
- Robot demo: Robotseende, Quintek-dagarna, March 30, 2011.
- Invited talk: Seende robotar, hur och varför?, Teknikfestivalen Norrköping, December 1, 2010.
- Interview: SVT Östnytt, Roboten Eddie kan både se och känna igen, May 10, 2010.
- Interview: Linköpings Extra, Eddie - en pratglad ettåring, March 29, 2010.
Invited popular science talk: How to build a robot that can recognize objects,
IT workshop at University College Skövde, March 23, 2010
Two demonstrations at the annual LiU popular science day, October 14, 2009:
Gaze-tracker with 3D display, and Robot with object recognition capabilities.
- Interview: Östgöta Correspondenten, Eddie känner igen sin Teddy, October 7, 2009
- Interview: TV4 Norrköping, Dator ska varna bilförare för trafikfaror, March 31, 2008
- Interview: Vetenskapsradion Tekno Radio Show, SR P1, March 26, 2008
- Interview: BBC Radio Show: Robots and Artificial Intelligence, Sep 23, 2007
- Interview: New Scientist, I Google, therefore I am, Aug 18, 2007